We know that today a lot of landlords are probably asking themselves: what do I do if my tenant doesn’t pay the rent? If you have a tenant who is not paying rent, you need to start the eviction process. This is something you want to do immediately. The longer you wait, the longer those tenants will be in your home and not paying rent. If you don’t act right away, you are essentially leaving them there, and they are able to get away with not paying rent.

Here’s what you need to do:

Laws and Procedures

As a property manager make sure you have a clear understanding of all the laws and the procedures set forth by the state of California. There are very detailed regulations in place when it comes to how you are supposed to evict non-paying tenants.

Serve Notices

Once you are educated in the eviction laws, you need to serve all the proper notices that are required by the law. Make sure you pay attention to what you’re filling out and how you’re serving the documents. You must use the proper forms.

What to Do and What Not to Do

You don’t want to jeopardize your eviction by doing something that’s prohibited. For example, you are not permitted to lock your tenants out of the property when you’re in the middle of the eviction process. You also cannot turn off the utilities because the rent is late. That’s a fair housing issue and you can get into a lot of legal trouble if you try something like that. You’ll need to properly handle any personal effects that are left behind after the tenant is evicted. You don’t want to throw them out right away. The law requires you to inventory what was left and to keep them in storage for a specific amount of time. Part of following the law is being aware of how long you’re required to keep them stored and what you can do with them after that timeframe expires.


As I said, the most important thing in an eviction is this: do not procrastinate. Take action immediately. If you can’t handle this yourself, or you don’t know the particulars of eviction law, get professional help. Hire an attorney or contact us at Action 1 Properties, and we’d be happy to assist you.

Posted by: Patty on November 25, 2014